Both Pradeep, Manoj raped minor girl, police tells court

Manoj_PradeepThe second person accused in the alleged gangrape of a five-year-old girl was sent today to four-day police custody by a city court which was told by the Delhi Police that both he and accomplice Manoj Kumar had raped the minor.

Sanjay Garg, Additional Sessions Judge, remanded the 19-year-old Pradeep Kumar, who was arrested fromBiharyesterday and brought here on transit remand, to police custody till April 27 after the police said he had to be interrogated to unearth the sequence of events.

Pradeep was brought to the court in muffled face amid high security.

While the main accused in the case, Manoj, who is currently present at judicial custody, had told the agency that not him but Pradeep had assaulted the girl sexually, the police today told the court that both of them had raped the minor.

The court had asked the probe agency if both the accused had raped the child to which the police officials replied in the affirmative.

The prosecutor said “Yes, both had raped the girl.”.

The court also issued for tomorrow production warrant for Manoj as the police said it needed to confront him with Pradeep.

Pradeep was produced before ASJ Garg since he is presiding officer of the special court under Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act and both the accused have been booked under provisions of this Act.

Seeking eight-day custody of Pradeep, the prosecution said they had to recover the mobile phones used by them and since their investigation is mid-way, some new facts might emerge during their interrogation.

During the proceedings, the prosecutor said they would tomorrow seek custody of Manoj who was earlier sent to judicial custody.

As Pradeep was being taken out from the court complex, a large group of lawyers and litigants heckled him and the police.

Pradeep, who was named by Manoj, was apprehended from Barahiya village inBihar’s Lakhisarai district late last night from his maternal uncle’s residence.